Monday, May 15, 2017

It Came From the Fandom: SALUG Models at Supertrain

It's that time again...that time when I, your humble Dilettante, am short on material and have to turn to my fellow fans to provide content on schedule.
I love backup plans, don't you?
This time around, the subject is...well, it involves LEGO. (This seems to keep happening.) See, there's this organization in Canada called SALUG: the Southern Alberta LEGO User Group. And there's this annual model train convention in Calgary called Supertrain. Since LEGO model trains are a thing, the group has been known to build elaborate model train layouts for the convention.
At least twice, there was a Disneyland fan on deck.
For Supertrain 2005, they ran a train not entirely dissimilar to the good old Disneyland Railroad through a lovingly detailed plastic brick recreation of New Orleans Square and Splash Mountain. The following year, if anything they outdid themselves with a magnificently accurate model of Main Street, including the park's Main Gate, the entrance to Tomorrowland, Sleeping Beauty Castle, and even a sliver of the Fantasyland Courtyard. As a bonus, to the right of the Main Gate they decided to include...well, just have a look!
Sadly, I can't find any evidence that SALUG continued this tradition past 2006. But at least we have these wonderful photos to remember it by. Perhaps someday their example will inspire me to assemble something I wouldn't mind sharing with you!

2 comments:

  1. That's in my neck of the woods, and I've chatted with the SALUG guys. Nice bunch :) We commiserated over Disney love, but yes, nowadays they tend to do more LEGO reconstructions of Calgary than of Disneyland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a fantasy that one day, someone even crazier than me on at least two counts will build a LEGO model of the entire park.

    ReplyDelete