Monday, January 1, 2018

Blogiversary Special!!! The Last Three Years in (Brief) Review

Today marks the third anniversary of the launch of the Disneyland Dilettante. I know, right? Looking back, this blog has certainly had its ups and downs…but then so has the Disneyland Resort.
Is it time to go year by year? I think it’s time to go year by year.


2015

The big deal in 2015 was, of course, Disneyland’s Diamond Anniversary, which this blog celebrated with the 60 Diamonds project. My aim back then was to find something enjoyable that began at Disneyland each year it had been in operation, and—crucially—that was still there to be enjoyed in the present. I made it, even if I had to fudge the definition of “began” from time to time…but in pretty short order, some of my Diamonds started dropping off the map. Looking through the list now is a pretty sobering experience.
The Diamond Anniversary itself was…fine, I guess. I can give—no pun intended—glowing reviews to the Paint the Night parade and the new iteration of World of Color…but on the whole, it paled in comparison to the 50th Anniversary. It just didn’t get anywhere near the same level of celebratory spectacle. I was particularly disappointed with the new fireworks show, Disneyland Forever, which hardly had anything to do with Disneyland per se and deserved neither the title nor the auspicious release timing.
It’s worth noting, of course, that the Diamond Anniversary wasn’t the only thing going on in 2015. Two important rides received important upgrades. The Matterhorn’s Yeti was turbo-charged into a more state-of-the-art, scarier monster, complete with a sense of backstory. Even more momentous, the Haunted Mansion saw the re-introduction of its long-lost Hatbox Ghost…now with technology that, you know, works!
Sadly, at the end of the year, the wheels were set in motion for the construction of the Star Wars themed area (still in progress). I have made my peace with the fact that Galaxy’s Edge is going to be a thing, and I will even allow that it’s probably going to be a very cool thing. But dangit, the loss of Big Thunder Ranch still stings.


2016

I'm going to go ahead and call 2016 The Year of Star Wars Harshing Our Disneyland Buzz. Not only did the aforementioned start of construction result in half of Frontierland shutting down and the Disneyland Railroad going on a long hiatus, but the supposedly temporary Season of the Force overlay in Tomorrowland just hung around for the entire year. Space Mountain became an X-Wing battle adventure, the Carousel Theater became a museum, the Magic Eye Theater started showing something called Path of the Jedi,* and the Jedi Training Academy...continued.
I didn't spend much time in Tomorrowland that year.
The Resort as a whole mostly just chugged along in 2016, but California Adventure finished strong by introducing the Festival of Holidays and World of Color: Season of Light, both of which came back for a second round this past holiday season.
And then they closed the Tower of Terror. It was as if millions of palms suddenly hit millions of faces in exasperation, and were just as suddenly ignored.

2017

If 2015 was a net positive and 2016 an overall holding pattern, 2017 was a mixed bag. Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakfast Breakdance Breakout opened where the Tower of Terror once had been, and was an instant smash hit despite being one of the most pointless attraction revamps in theme park history. Also, John Lasseter announced plans to plaster Pixar characters over the entirety of Paradise Pier and pretend it's a “theme.”
But on the other hand, the Rivers of America and Disneyland Railroad re-opened, all shiny and new and not half bad considering the changes that had to be made to make room for Star Wars. And speaking of shiny...

NO

...they brought back the actual, legitimate Main Street Electrical Parade for several months. As gifts to fans go, that's a pretty sweet one.
On the other other hand...Pirates. Ordinarily, the announcement that Pirates of the Caribbean's infamous wench auction scene would be redesigned to be less, um, human trafficky, would have me thinking “Well, let's wait and see.” But the changes have already taken place in Paris, and reports from discerning guests are that the new version is not only boring and nonsensical, but defeats its own purpose—sure, the redhead is no longer being sold at auction, but neither is she subtly, smugly in control of the situation. I have mixed feelings about the prospect of changing the scene to begin with, but...they damn well better figure out how to reconcile contemporary values with the needs of art before the finest theme park attraction ever built is irrevocably altered for the worse.

So where does all this leave us, as of 2018? Based on the reactions of some fans to the above plans for the parks...nowhere good. People are outright leaving the Disney theme park fandom over stuff like this. Once-prolific blogs are falling by the wayside. I don't want the Disneyland Dilettante to be one of them, but I have to admit that maintaining a weekly posting schedule is nowhere near as effortless as it once was.
That's why I am announcing a new offshoot of this blog: The Disneyland Dilettante on Tumblr! I will still do my best to bring you new content here every week, but whether I succeed or not, I'll be maintaining the conversation with other theme park fans over there.
Here's to the future!


* A retrospective on the film franchise, I think?

2 comments:

  1. I was enjoying re-reading your 60 Diamonds series... It's good to focus on the good things that are still there, while they're still there :)

    And yes, Path of the Jedi was a retrospective of the two trilogies. When my wife and I went in 2015 for our "Oh crap, they're shutting down half of Frontierland so this is our last chance to see the Disneyland we remember it" emergency trip, Path of the Jedi was the only Season of the Force thing we did (on account of a friend we were hanging out with who wanted to do it). It was December, and between Season of the Force and Haunted Mansion Holiday, we did a pretty good repeat business on Pirates, the Tiki Room, and Fantasyland.

    As one of those bloggers who shut down (I still do some coverage on my other blog though ;) ), I think it goes in waves. There are the lifers who have literally built a business on being Disney fans, but a lot of people sustain a really steady interest in Disney for about 10 years (literally: my first trip to Disneyland was in 2005 and my last was in 2015). They do forums, blogs, podcasts, etc. and are totally into it... and then stop. They kinda' got everything out of it they wanted and don't cease being Disney fans but do move on to other subjects to take a more active interest in. But they get supplanted by new fans who are entering into their 10 year cycle. There's a relatively new YouTuber I've been enjoying called Offhand Disneyland who is in that stage. I think what's going to mark the new breed of Disney bloggers/podcasters/YouTubers is that they like Disney but love Star Wars, Marvel, and Pixar, so they're going to be enthusiastic about where the parks are going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't call what I do a business, but I am absolutely a lifelong Disneyland fan. The prospect of the place becoming something no longer palatable to me is actually a little terrifying, akin to the prospect of losing a couple fingers.

      New bloggers and vloggers may well be springing up to fill the void left by the ones who are leaving...but if their fandom is driven by a love of the park's new direction, they won't be my people.

      For that matter, *can* you be considered a fan of Disney theme parks if what's attracting you is the sorts of movies being tapped for attractions? My love of the place goes far beyond my appreciation of Disney movies per se. The best stuff has always been the stuff that wasn't based on any movie. (The second-best stuff is the stuff that transforms its source material.)

      Delete